Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Meehan's on Matanzas

One of my favorite places to eat in the Ancient City is Meehan's on the Matanzas.  When I'm looking for some good pub food along with a great atmosphere and some dark lagers this is my first choice.   I first came upon Meehan's while my mother was visiting from Pennsylvania and we were walking around downtown looking for somewhere to grab a quick bite and check out the waterfront.  I was really in the mood for some fresh fish and chips and when we  took a look at the menu, we decided to give it a try.

My mom tried the Bog Burger (beef burger with Irish whiskey BBQ and onion relish) and I had a Blackened Mahi Mahi sandwhich.  Both came with an ample amount of fresh cut french fries seasoned with salt and a little bit of parmesian cheese (if my taste buds are correct).  We both got a pint of Shock Top and enjoyed the heat and  the sunset.  I also couldn't help but try the Johnny Mac mac & cheese.  Aside from good Italian food I have a compleate soft spot for different kinds of home made mac & cheese. With all do respect to my mom, this mac & cheese is my absolute favorite.  It had just the right amount of cheese and cream so that it wasn't too saucy or too dry.  The  bread crumb topping really made the extra bonus on top. We both had dinner, a beer and an extra side for about $50.

A few weeks later my boyfriend and I went back so I could try their fish and chips.  This time we had two Smithwick's (usually on  draft), the fried seafood combo and of course another order of the Johnny Mac.  There was more than enough food and we had left over Mac to take home.  Every time I visit the owner always stops over to check on how things are going and the staff is always friendly.  This place is sure to be a good

No comments:

Post a Comment